Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A trip to the hospital

Tuesday afternoon I took my second dose of Clarithromycin, the anti biotic prescribed by the doctor for my pneumonia. Apparently my body didn't like the Clarithromycin and around 8pm I broke out in hives. I didn't think it was a big deal but my mother insisted I look up Clarithromycin on the internet. When I did, I learned that there are typical side effects including diarrhea, nausea, heartburn, abnormal taste, stomach pain and headaches. I'd already experiences some of those side effects but didn't think anything of it. The website continued to explain that if any of the following symptoms occurred, to consult a doctor immediately: rash, hives, itching etc. Hmmm, should I seek medical attention? It was 9pm and I wanted to go to sleep. I called the BC nurses line at 811 and spoke with an RN. She said the next symptoms to expect are difficulty breathing, swollen tongue and it all went downhill from there. She told me to not go to sleep but rather stay awake to monitor my symptoms.

When I told Rob what was going on, he insisted I go to the hospital. He picked me up (while on duty) and drove me to the hospital. I was having a little difficulty with my breathing but I didn't know if it was my imagination or just being out of breath from coughing. Because Rob was on duty and is in good with the nurses at the hospital (police are often called to the hospital to help with unruly/fighting patients) so we got checked in quickly and had a private place to wait for the doctor. I was finally seen by the doc after waiting for almost an hour. Not really the end of the world, but I'd rather be sleeping! And Rob waited with me, he's so sweet! The doctor told me I was having an allergic reaction, not an anafalactic reaction. The difference was that my hives were about the extent of my reaction and I was not going to have any difficulty breathing or get any worse. The doc gave me benedryl for my allergic reaction, told me to stop taking Clarithromycin (duh!) and prescribed me Moxifloxacin.

On Wednesday morning I went to Dr B for my shots and weighed in at 199.8! Woohoo! I'm below 200 pounds. Ug that sounds soooo gluttenous. 200 pounds. Gross. Anyways, I'm not 200 lbs anymore so all is good :) It seems like I'm loosing one pound every day which is a great pace. If I can keep this up until I go to Whistler on Feb 13th, I'll be about 185lbs. That's wicked. The LPN that gave me the shot on Wednesday was not as gentle as the other LPN's have been. My ass hurt for a while after the shot. I think when I go back tomorrow, I will ask for a different girl. That was an unnecessary experience that I don't want to repeat.

That reminds me of a joke in french. "Pete et Repete sont dans un bateau. Si Pete sort, qui reste? Repete!...Pete et Repete sont dans un bateau.... " Haha. I guess the english translation would be "Pete and Repeat are in a boat. If Pete jumps out, who is left? Repeat! ...Pete and Repete are in a boat...." Wow, the classics never die. Ok ok one more joke...Two antennas met on a roof top, they fell in love and get married. The wedding ceremony wasn't very exciting but the reception was excellent! Oh, did you hear about the optician who fell into his lens grinding machine? He made a spectacle of himself! When I heard that joke from my dad, I asked him if it was a new joke as I'd never heard it before. He told me it was so old, that it's been around since the Dead Sea was on the Sick List. It just never ends...


On Wednesday evening I was feeling ok so I went to the gym and got my ass kicked. I really think that going to the gym is an important part of recovery. It gets the serotonin going and makes me feel good! I had to hack up phlem and take a few breathers through out the workout but I made it through. I can understand why the doc doesn't want me going to work. The public and my co-workers probably wouldn't take too kindly to my hacking and the fact that I'm completely winded and have to sit down cuz I get dizzy after coughing would probably be an officer safety concern. Alas another day on the couch.

The most exciting thing going on this Thursday is a scheduled walk to the mail box, about 100m away from my front door. Oh and a phone call with a good friend who recently moved to Shilo Manitoba. It was so great to get caught up with Meghan. She's only been gone for a week but I miss her already. I cant just call her up and say "Hey lets meet at Starbucks or go for a walk" anymore :(


That's is for today.

No comments: